Monday, November 06, 2006

Thoughts on Fall: Pickin' Apples

I love the fall season, with one, and only one exception: the dwindling choice of ripe fruits and veggies in my local supermarket. Once September hits, it's hard to find a decent strawberry or cantaloupe, but you can count on apples.

In past years, I'd avoided the apple. I've never been a fan of the Red Delicious and I often found my beloved Granny Smith's to be mushy and flavorless by the time they reach Dallas. Luckily, with the arrival of Central Market, all grocery stores have had to up their produce game to stay competitive. I can now select from dozens of varieties of apples, and I have found more than a few new favorites.

With all the selection, you will probably see a few apples you don't know. Luckily, the Apple Journal has a comprehensive apple guide available online. The guide lists the fruit varieties alphabetically and gives a description of origin, color, flavor and texture. I myself am partial to the oh-so-dainty sounding Pink Lady.

The Apple Journal also has pages of apple recipes ranging from salads to puddings to fritters.

No comments: