Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Blogging Bon Appetit's May Issue

ARTICLES:
"Bon Appetit's" May issue is a travel special edition. It covers where to eat in places like France, Spain, Italy, and Austria and some local recipes for each region. Though not listed on the cover, there is a great article and accompanying recipes from Istanbul. I have to divulge, that I am extremely partial to Turkey and wax poetic on the topic whenever I get the chance. My husband is an Istanbul native and my mother-in-law is the most amazing Turkish cook.

Luckily for everyone, May's Turkish recipes are already available on the site. My personal favorite is Mucver, or zucchini patties, pictured above. If you have the chance to go to Istanbul, do not miss out. It's an amazing place. If you can't head to Turkey, I have a few restaurant suggestions:

Dallas:
Sevan (this is not a Turksih restaurant, but serves a very closely related cuisine)
2221 Greenville Ave
Dallas, TX 75206
(214) 821-0601

Cafe Izmir (again, not actually a Turkish restaurant, but it serves many Turkish dishes)
3711 Greenville Ave
Dallas, TX 75206
(214) 826-7788


New York:
Turkish Kitchen
386 3rd Ave
New York, NY 10016
(212) 679-1810


BOOK REVIEWS:
Page 38's book reviews offer two selections that caught my interest. The first is "Off Duty: The World's Greatest Chef's Cook at Home." I have always wondered what famous chefs cook for themselves and their families after a long week at the restaurant. This book offers an answer. Featured chefs include, Thomas Keller, Charlie Trotter and Alan Ducasse. I found some additional details listed under "Good Reads" on Eddybles.

The second is "Harumi's Japanese Cooking," by Harumi Kurihara, the Japanese Martha Stewart. I found some additional information on the book at Trends in Japan. Harumi offers tips on easy Japanese home cooking, including sushi.

PRODUCTS:
Morphe sugar bowl and milk jug
in stainless steel.
$95 for the set.










The Josephine carafe and glass.
$210 for the set.

2 comments:

Alexander Santillanes said...

Wow, I'm disappointed I missed that issue of Bon Appetit- Istanbul is such an amazing city for food. -X

Sarah said...

I agree, but most of the articles I have read on the city lately mention only Istanbul 360 and a few other select restaurants. That's a pretty limited view. Please let me know if you have other favorites.

You may still be able to catch the magazine on the stand this week.